Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My First Slipcover

After Keith and I moved into our first apartment together, I wanted to make it into a place of our own and not feel like we were living in a college apartment. One thing that I definitely wanted to change was the sofa. When we first got here, we couldn't even fit it in the door and it took a few weeks and some engineering to get it in. Then, I was determined to make it pretty because I knew it wasn't going anywhere. We actually said that it could stay with the apartment when we move again but now after putting this much work into it, I think I'll be taking it with me.. haha. 

Anyway, I started out looking online for directions and recommendations for re-covering a sofa. I found lots of sites that said just throw a sheet over it and add a few pillows. Been there, done that. I wanted something that was tailored and didn't have to be re-tucked every time someone sat on it. It has got to be the most comfortable couch I have ever sat on (or slept on ;p). 

So, I found a site that said to use canvas drop cloth as it was easy to wash and it wore well. I found it at Home Depot for about  $20 for two sheets of 9x12 canvas.. what a deal! I bought two of these (four sheets total) with the intention of using the leftovers to cover my chair as well. As it turned out, I used most of it on the couch and decided to cover the chair in a different pattern (Working on that now, will post when that's finished :)) 

I got to work pinning and cutting and fitting and re-fitting until I had the base of the couch (minus the cushions) totally covered and fit to my liking. I added a but of elastic to the sides under the arms to help hold it up and tight. I think the pinning was the hardest part as I pricked myself more times than I want to admit. Finally it came to sewing which was a task in itself as there was SO much fabric to deal with. With the help of my friend Leslie, we finally got the cushions covered and everything tucked into the right place. It was so nice to finally see it done! I didn't use any specific pattern, just tucked and cut around the shapes I needed. It did help to look up some information and watch a few videos of people doing this first. 

                                                             Before:    




This is not a great before picture but it shows the 

faded blue colours. I've always had some kind of 
cover over it to spruce it up a bit but I couldn't 
wait to get something that was tailored specifically 
for this sofa and that wouldn't fall off or move 
around every time you sat on it.










Here is the finished product:

This is the after. It looks soo much nicer now :) I was surprised
at how well it turned out!


I still need to add some Velcro to the corners so that it can be easily 
removed and washed, but that will have to wait until it needs to come off. 


I love the color, its neutral with a hint of gray which goes perfectly 
with the rest of the room.  The carpet we added really makes this 
cozy and comfortable. 



I'll post some before and after pictures of our living room when I get it all put back together. It's come a long way since we first moved in and I can't wait to have it all in place. :)

1 comment:

  1. Used this cover almost a year now and it shows no sign of fatigue at all. Hasn't faded or become uncomfortable. Very easy to fall asleep on this couch

    ReplyDelete